Communication, Interaction, Arousal & Problematic Behaviors –
A Practical Guide to Understanding, Implementing and Overcoming
CEUS: PPAB 15, IAABC 15
Working Spots & Auditor Spots Available
Day 1: INTERACTIVE PLAY
The first day will be focused on the content of Craig’s extremely popular book the “Interactive Play Guide”, this offers a unique look at how we can implement a reinforcing play system that is based on our dogs making the choice to play, and adjusting our technique to suit each dog as an individual.
During the first day we will take an interactive journey, looking at how to effectively adjust toy play to the reinforcement preferences of the specific dog that you are working with. Craig will talk and walk you through a proven, tried and tested step by step acronym-based system that will help you to use the joy of play to improve relationships, build confidence, create motivational focus and implement alternative forms of positive reinforcement. You will also learn how to avoid and overcome some of the common problems during play, such as over-arousal and problematic behaviours. Along with implementing these techniques into your behavioral consultations, training classes and even at home to help further enrich the lives of dogs and their owners.
- Learn how to create structured, consistent, positive interactive play sessions with the dogs in your care.
- Develop the ability to adjust interactive play to suit each dog as an individual, based on the evaluation of behaviour.
- Understand how to implement the joy of play to fulfil your dog’s natural desires, improve relationships, build confidence and increase motivational focus.
- Build an understanding of how to avoid and overcome problems during play such as over-arousal and problematic behaviours. Incorporate the power of play into both behavioural and training settings.
- Implement alternative forms of positive reinforcement into our dog’s lives.
- Gain the ability to communicate with your dog during structured periods of positive stimulation.
- Implement structured periods of calm and alternative behaviours into your interactive play sessions to create behavioural predictability
- Learn how to problem solve when working with a variety of dogs and their owners.
- Take away a simple step by step system that will benefit you, the dogs in your care and your students.
Day 2: COMMUNCITAION, AROUSAL AND PROBLEMATIC BEHAVIOURS
A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING AND OVERCOMING
On the second day we will further develop our knowledge on understanding, overcoming and preventing problematic behaviours that our dogs perform during periods of arousal. We will focus on the communications behind the behaviours and the practical steps that we can take to help the dogs in our care.
Both handlers and spectators will work through an extremely informative and interactive work book guided by Craig. This covers a practical acronym based, step by step guide to follow when analysing and working towards overcoming problematic behaviours. You will learn how to avoid labelling the dogs in your care by dissecting problematic behaviours in to separate influencing components which will allow you to develop and implement an effective plan to work towards overcoming the behaviours.
Handlers will then begin to put the theory in to practice by working with Craig to lay some solid foundations which will allow you to work with your dog towards overcoming the problematic behaviour that the dog in your care is displaying. A practical guide that will continue to help you to efficiently evaluate and work towards overcoming problematic behaviours to improve the lives of both the dogs in your care and your students alike.
- Learn how to dissect the problematic behaviours that our dogs engage in during states of arousal in to separate influencing components and develop an effective development plan to work towards overcoming them.
- Recognize the communications behind problematic behaviours.
- Overcome dog sport training and working dog training specific problematic behaviours
- Learn how to avoid over-arousal and improve learning experiences by altering antecedent arrangements and managing influencing factors.
- Implement practical efficient calming techniques to improve the day to day lives of the dogs and owners in your care.
- Understand the importance of positive reinforcers and their role in overcoming problematic behaviours
- Become skilled in recognizing the considerations to make for successful learning to take place
- Benefit from the ability to recognize the influence that handler behaviours and emotions have on problematic behaviours and how to adjust these factors to change behaviours
- Use structured patterns to create predictability and consistency to change behaviour
- Develop the ability to implement techniques that will include positive reinforcement, operant conditioning, classical conditioning, counter conditioning, differential reinforcement of incompatible behaviours and desensitization.
Your workshop Instructor – Craig Ogilvie CCBT
Internationally renowned seminar leader and author Craig Ogilvie is a highly experienced Certified Canine Behaviourist and Trainer, Police Dog Training Instructor and Mondioring Decoy (Licensed in France)
Having spent a great deal of time training and testing working dogs in locations all over Europe, he very quickly went on to achieve unique accreditation. Craig is the first person from the U.K to be licensed to test and train dogs internationally in the working dog sport called Mondioring: which consists of Obedience, Agility and Criminal Apprehension.
Craig is one of the very few experienced and qualified Civilian Police Dog Training Instructors in the U.K. and has worked for the Police full time as a dog training instructor. He has delivered seminars to multiple police dog sections along with the U.K Military working dog teams.
Craig’s passion and study of dog behaviour and training led him to becoming a certified Canine Behaviourist and Trainer, with much of his time is focused on working around problematic behaviours in dogs, problem solving, motivation and the power of positive reinforcement when working with dogs. Craig’s journey has led to him helping dogs and people all over the world via seminars, workshops and online training for professionals and enthusiasts alike.
This event is sponsored and hosted at the DogSmith Training Center & DogNostics Career Center. The facility is a 2000 square foot fully air-conditioned indoor training room on 24 acres, with Kings Lake as a backdrop. RVs are welcome but there is no water or power hookup. The confirmation email gives local accommodation details and directions to the facility.
9122 Kenton Road, Wesley Chapel. FL 33545