Presented by Jean Donaldson
CEUs: PPAB 1, IAABC (pending), CCPDT (pending)
This webinar will present three case studies of resource guarders. Two were resolved using desensitization and counterconditioning and one using differential reinforcement.
The webinar will present summaries of both cases, including troubleshooting co-presentation with other issues, adding splits to training plans and execution points.
- Understand that both operant and respondent conditioning can be employed for resource guarding, provided the practitioner is competent at planning, execution and client-coaching
- Triage of multi-issue cases to protect public safety, preserve owner priorities and maximize compliance
- Formulate prognoses
- Work safely and efficiently and coach clients in DIY application
- Grasp trainer pre-requisites for handling resource guarding cases
- Generate and execute training plan splits in object guarding cases
Jean is the founder and principal instructor of The Academy for Dog Trainers. The Academy has trained and certified over 800 trainers in evidence-based dog behavior, training, teaching and behavior counseling since 1999. She is a four-time winner of The Dog Writers' Association of America's Maxwell Award, and her books include The Culture Clash, Oh Behave! Dogs From Pavlov to Premack to Pinker, and Train Like a Pro. In 2017, Jean was recruited to create Dog Training 101 for The Great Courses.
Born in Montreal, Canada, Jean founded the Montreal Flyball Association, and Renaissance Dog Training, the first positive reinforcement-based school and counseling service in the province. Her own dogs and dogs she has trained have earned numerous titles and wins in a variety of dog sports, including OTCh, TDX, HIT and FDCh. While a student, she worked as an adoption counselor at the Montreal SPCA and later served on its Board of Directors. Before founding The Academy, Jean did exclusively referral aggression cases for six years. She lives in Oakland, California, with her dog, Brian, adopted in 2015.